How to conceive twins?
It’s an amazing feeling for any woman to get pregnant when she looks forward to meeting her baby. However, it is important to remember that getting pregnant takes time and you may not conceive in the first go. There is only a 20% chance of getting pregnant each month for any 30-year-old healthy woman. But it drops to 5% when a woman turns 40. Women have been found to start families in the late 30s and hence having twins has become more common now more than ever.
How are twins conceived?
Some people love the idea of having twins and being parents to two children. So if you are interested in having twins you must first understand how they are conceived. There are two types of twins: identical and non-identical. Identical or monozygotic twins are formed when one egg is fertilized by one sperm which then divides into two embryos. Each embryo has the same genetic components and structures and they both share the same placenta.
In the case of non-identical or dizygotic twins, they are formed from two separate eggs formed from two separate sperms. These twins do not share the same genetic components and can be compared to siblings with their own little unique features. Non-identical twins have a separate placenta, unlike identical twins. Research suggests that the majority of twins are born non-identical.
Twins in families only apply if the mother has the genetic predisposition for having twins. It is her family history that influences her chances of hyper ovulation.
What are the chances of having twins?
The chances of having identical twins are extremely rare. It happens in only 3 or 4 for every 1000 births. Identical twins are always of the same sex because they share the exact same DNA.
Non-identical twins can be of the same sex or different sex. They usually don’t look alike since they do not share the same DNA in the case of identical twins.
What are the odds of having triplets?
The odds of having triplets are extremely rare. However, if you want to know your odds, here are some facts you should know:
- You should have a family history of having triplets.
- You must be older than 30 to conceive triplets.
- Your family has a history of hyper ovulation.
- The odds of having triplets is 1 in 9000.
- If you take fertility assistance you have a 1 in 40 chance of birthing triplets.
How to increase the chances of having twins?
- It is essential that you should try and be as healthy as possible before getting pregnant. It is recommended to schedule an appointment with an obstetrician before you start trying. At the appointment, you will be screened for any existing health conditions and genetic diseases. You can also communicate your other health concerns with your doctor. Your doctor will recommend several lifestyle changes like getting healthy, having a healthy diet, eliminating caffeine and soda, quitting smoking, and drinking.
- Being older contributes to getting pregnant with twins. It seems like nature has its own way of giving surprises. Usually, when a woman is in her 30s and enters perimenopause, her body starts releasing more than one egg each month. The surge of estrogen also spikes fertility. Research suggests it is more common for a woman to have non-identical twins who are over 35 years of age.
- Vitro fertilization or fertility drugs often stimulate ovaries to support more than one ovarian follicle each month towards maturity. This results in more than one egg being released.
- If you come from a family with a genetic history of non-identical twins then there’s a greater chance of having them yourself.
- Women who have previously conceived have a higher chance of having twins.
- Difficult as this can be there is a higher chance of women getting pregnant when they are on oral contraceptives.
- It is usually recommended to have folic acid supplements one month before contraception.
- The famous myth of oysters being an aphrodisiac is not entirely without basis. Oysters are high in zinc and this helps in the production of sperms. So ask your partner to have oysters. The healthier the sperm the more the chances of being able to fertilize more than one egg. If he is willing to take zinc supplements it should be 14mg/day. Green leafy veggies, cereals, and bread are also rich in zinc.
- Eat more yams or sweet potatoes since it produces a naturally occurring element that helps support in ovarian function.
- Breastfeeding your older baby or toddler can contribute to producing prolactin that gives more chances of conceiving twins.
How to conceive triplets naturally?
For some mothers, having triplets might be a blessing, for others, it can be an absolute horror. But if you are keen on learning how to conceive triplets here are some tips to conceive triplets naturally:
- Follow a nutritious diet rich in yams, milk, and dairy products.
- Eat foods rich in progesterone like walnuts, almonds, chicken, eggs, and whole grains.
- If you have given birth to children or twins already the chances of giving birth to triplets are substantially increased.
- Increasing body weight.
- The best way to increase your chances of having triplets is having lots of intercourse during your high sex drive years.
- Quit smoking and alcohol.
- Take Folic Acid supplements every day.
- Stop taking birth control pills.
- Fertility assistance can increase your chances of up to 85%
Chances of having twins after 35
Research shows that women over 30, especially in the late 30s are more likely to have twins. This happens simply because women in this age release more than one egg during ovulation than younger women.
Mothers who have already given birth to babies and are in the ages between 35 to 40 have an even higher chance to conceive twins.
It is also seen that fraternal twins or non-identical twins are more common in larger women. That can be a woman who is taller or overweight.
What should you add to your diet before and during pregnancy?
It is of utmost importance to have a healthy diet during your pregnancy. Here are some foods that you should add to your diet list.
Yams- They are rich in progesterone and phytoestrogens which help in hyper ovulation.
Folic acid- This is one of the main requirements of growing your baby and hence your doctor may recommend having folic supplements along with your vitamins during your pregnancy. Folic acid can be naturally found in avocado, spinach, broccoli, and asparagus as well. Having natural ingredients is always better than supplements.
Dairy- Studies suggest that women who consume dairy and dairy derivatives are 5 times more likely to have twin babies. Consumption of dairy products increases a specific kind of protein which is called an insulin-like growth factor that helps the mother to conceive twins.
Pineapple- It is a great way to boost fertility. Pineapple is rich in bromelain which is a kind of protein that helps in ovulation and fertilization.
Can folic acid help to conceive twins?
Research suggests that folic acid supplements can increase the chances of conceiving twins. Intaking supplements can also help cut the risk of birth defects. It is recommended to start taking folic acid tablets two months before contraception. It reduces the risk of the baby developing birth defects related to the brain and spinal cord like spina bifida. It is advisable to take 400 mcg of the folic acid supplement every day. Make sure there is no Vitamin A. High doses of vitamin A can cause developmental problems during the initial months of pregnancy.
You can also eat natural ingredients that contain folic acid like spinach, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, peas, chickpeas.
If you are already pregnant and you haven’t been taking folic acid supplements you can start taking it now until you reach 12 weeks. You don’t need to take folic acid supplements after 12 weeks since the neural tube has already developed. It is always wise to consult your doctor before taking any kind of supplements or pills.
How to conceive twins with fertility drugs?
There are several ways to conceive twins but all these ways don’t guarantee the outcome. According to studies, getting fertility treatments can increase your chances up to 85%. Fertility drugs and fertility treatments can increase the chances of conceiving twins. Infertility treatments can cause multiple eggs to develop and you are more likely to be pregnant with twins or even triplets.
However, this can come with complications. Babies could be born early. This is called premature birth where the babies are not fully developed. 90% triplets and half of the twins are almost always born prematurely. Premature babies can have health problems like cerebral palsy, underdeveloped lungs, and heart.
There are a lot of potential complications that the mother can face as well, like high blood pressure, amenia, diabetes, or too much or too little amniotic fluid. Too much amniotic fluid can cause premature labor and too little fluid can cause a problem for the baby’s development. There are also problems with delivering babies and there is a higher chance of getting a cesarean section which is when the babies are delivered surgically.
Precautions during twin pregnancy
The most important precautionary measure is to take care of your nutrition intake. It is advisable for pregnant mothers to take prenatal vitamins with folic acids within 3 months before conception. Take the vitamins with food to reduce nausea.
Single born pregnancies require 300 extra calories a day. Twin pregnancies need around 1000 extra calories per day. Snackable food can be low-fat yogurt, crackers, and a protein shake. In addition to snacks, it is extremely important to keep yourself hydrated during the day. Running to the bathroom every 5 minutes may drive you crazy but it is crucial for your babies extra blood flow and removal of waste. If you want to detox yourself during pregnancy, always go for safe and natural ways.
Since there’s an increased chance of premature delivery any minor symptoms should be brought to the notice of the doctor. Bleeding or vaginal discharge, frequent contractions, diarrhea, pressure in the pelvis, and pain in the lower back can all be signs of preterm labor.
There are several things that you shouldn’t do while you are pregnant with twins. They are as follows:
- Eating too little.
- Eating too much.
- Getting dehydrated.
- Strenuous workouts.
- Drink alcohol, smoke, or do drugs.
- Soak in a hot tub.
- Becoming overtired.
- Ignore what your body is telling you.
Twins or multiple babies are considered higher risks than single pregnancies. It is essential to keep your doctor updated at all times during the tenure of your pregnancy. Following a proper diet and keeping yourself hydrated will go a long way to avoid preterm labor. However, if you ever feel any kind of discomfort be sure to get in touch with your doctor immediately to ensure the safety of your babies as well as yourself.